Finding a good name for a hermit crab is among the most enjoyable parts of introducing a new pet to your home. Hermit crabs won’t respond to their names being called, but it’s still important that you find the right moniker.
Hermit crab names can take any form. Avoid being rude, as you may need to use the name in polite company, but there’s nothing to say that you can’t choose a funny name that makes you smile.
Names for hermit crabs can come from all kinds of inspiration. You may wish to identify your pets according to their sex, habits, behavior, appearance, or something that seems cute or amusing.
There’s no such thing as a right or wrong name for a hermit crab.
What are Some Good Names for Hermit Crabs?
If you’re struggling for inspiration when deciding what to call your hermit crabs, this guide has 100+ suggestions to get you started.
Hermit Crab Boy Names
Many traditionally male names could be applied to hermit crabs, whether inspired by pop culture or because you think they’ll suit your pet. Here are some examples:
- Sebastian – The Disney animated classic The Little Mermaid introduced the world to Sebastian, the beloved Jamaican-accented crab.
- Captain Hook – A classic literary villain and a name that suits a male hermit crab.
- Edward Scissorhands – Johnny Depp’s misunderstood movie character would undoubtedly relate to a hermit crab’s claws.
- Kermit – The leader of the Muppets may be a frog, but this is still a strong male name for any pet.
- Poseidon – The Greek God of the sea. Try Neptune for a Roman equivalent if you prefer.
- Mr. Krabs – The cantankerous red crab that bosses around SpongeBob Squarepants in the cartoon.
- Sheldon – Hermit crabs live in a shell, so the name makes sense.
- Tamatoa – Back to Disney, Tamatoa is a coconut crab from the movie Moana.
- Apollo – Another Greek god, Apollo represents countless things – archery, light, healing, poetry, music, dance, healing, and more.
- Herman – Herman’s Hermit was a popular 1960s band, and something tells us we’re onto something good with this name.
Hermit Crab Girl Names
You may feel strongly that your hermit crab is female – or know it for a fact. If that’s the case, there are just as many strong girl names that you could ascribe to your hermit crabs:
- Shelley – A play on the fact that hermit crabs wear a shell, as well as a fine name.
- Coco – There is a classic elegance to this female name – merci, mademoiselle Chanel.
- Aphrodite – Returning to Greek mythology, Aphrodite is the Goddess of love and beauty.
- Daenerys – The Mother of Dragons spawned inspired a thousand pet names, while Game of Thrones captured the world’s imagination.
- Pearl – A great female name that’s associated with the bottom of the sea where hermit crabs sometimes dwell.
- Ariel – The name of the beloved protagonist of The Little Mermaid suits any female hermit crab.
- Summer – A happy name that brings memories of clear skies and golden sands.
- Oceana – Think of the deep, blue sea every time you see your hermit crab.
- Marina – Another nautical and aquatic female name.
- Dora – Hermit crabs are naturally curious, so name yours after the world’s most famous fictional explorer.
Hermit Crab Unisex Names
It can be quite difficult to sex hermit crabs and tell the difference between male and female pets. If you prefer to play it safe, here are some gender-neutral names:
- Sandy – One of the most common unisex names out there and very apt for hermit crabs that live on sandy substrate.
- Harley, Harley Quinn, or Harley Davidson – Either way, it’s a great name for a pet.
- Scout – Hermit crabs often scout their surroundings, and this is a classic unisex name.
- Taylor – Taylor Swift and Taylor Lautner are iconic examples of how this name suits both genders.
- Frankie – Could be a Francis, a Frances, or a Francesca.
- Jules – If you’re unsure if you have a Julian or a Juliet, Jules is an ideal compromise.
- Pat – Patrick, Patrice, or Patricia? You decide.
- Sydney – Another unisex name that has gained popularity in recent years.
- Lennox – A fun name for a hermit crab that could suit either sex.
- George – A strong masculine name, short for Georgia or Georgina.
Hermit Crab Names for Two
Hermit crabs get bored and lonely if they live alone – bringing at least one buddy into your hermit crab’s enclosure is always advisable. Here are some suggestions for matching pair names:
- Salt and Pepper – Cornerstones of any kitchen table and arguably the ultimate pairing.
- Tweedledum and Tweedledee – Ever since Alice encountered these twins in Wonderland, their names have become shorthand for a pairing.
- Batman and Robin – These caped crusaders have been thrilling us since the 1940s.
- Calvin and Hobbes – Bill Watterson has sadly passed, but his iconic comic strips featuring these two characters are eternal.
- Bert and Ernie – If your hermit crabs are the best of friends, can you think of better role models than these Sesame Street residents?
- Barbie and Ken – The ultimate power couple – perfect for a male and female pair.
- Sugar and Spice – Are your hermit crabs made up of all things nice?
- Jekyll and Hyde – If your hermit crabs have two very different personas, embrace them.
- Bubble and Squeak – A food dish that offers two equally cute names.
- Lennon and McCartney – Beatlemaniacs will love the idea of naming their hermit crabs after this celebrated songwriting duo.
Hermit Crab Names for Colonies
Two hermit crabs are fun, but these animals adopt a “more the merrier” approach to living. If you have the space, taking on a whole colony of hermit crabs is recommended. Here are some names that suit larger groups.
- Happy, Grumpy, Sleepy, Sneezy, Dopey, Bashful, and Doc – The seven dwarves could inspire names for a large colony.
- Chico, Harpo, Groucho, Gummo, and Zeppo – Like a group of hermit crabs, the Marx Brothers provide no end to amusing entertainment.
- Harry, Ron, and Hermione – This trinity defined the childhoods of so many.
- Baby, Ginger, Scary, Sporty, and Posh – The Spice Girls have retired, but they’ll live in our hearts.
- Harry, Zayn, Louis, Niall, and Liam – If not the Spice Girls, maybe One Direction is more your speed.
- Homer, Marge, Bart, Lisa, and Maggie – Hermit crabs are family, so name yours after America’s favorite unit.
- Leonardo, Donatello, Michelangelo, and Raphael – These are the names of the Nina Turtles, but you can claim you named your hermit crabs after Renaissance painters.
- Monica, Rachel, Phoebe, Chandler, Ross, and Joey – The 90s sitcom Friends continues to gain new fans, and your hermit crabs are sure to be best friends.
- Hawkeye, Captain America, Thor, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Hulk – The Marvel Cinematic Universe dominates the box office, and these are the six original Avengers.
- Luke, Leia, Han, and Ben – Everybody will associate these names with the classic Star Wars franchise.
Funny Names for Hermit Crabs
Hermit crabs are pretty goofy, and you won’t need to call their names while walking them in the park. This means you’ll have free reign to choose a funny name if you wish for no reason other than to make you smile. Here are some suggestions:
- Professor – Hermit crabs may sometimes play the fool, but they are surprisingly smart critters for their size.
- Munchkin – This will always be an amusing name for a tiny pet, especially a hermit crab.
- Everest – Hermit crabs love to climb, so why not name yours after the world’s highest mountain?
- Dracula – Like literature’s most famous vampire, hermit crabs are rarely seen during the day.
- Jaws – Unlike the terrifying great white shark from the classic movie, hermit crabs have no teeth, making this a funny and ironic name.
- Fido – Hermit crabs are an unconventional pet, so why not give yours a name associated with a dog?
- Brutus – Most hermit crabs are gentle, even if they’re larger in stature. This can be an ironic moniker.
- Seabiscuit – Seabiscuit was a legendary racehorse, while hermit crabs live in the sea.
- Twinkletoes – Hermit crabs tend to be light on their feet, and this name may make you laugh.
- Poopypants – OK, so this one is immature, but there is no denying that hermit crabs poop.
Cute Pet Names for Hermit Crabs
Once you keep hermit crabs, it’s impossible not to notice how adorable they are. If you’re looking for names that reflect the cuteness of your hermit crabs, take inspiration from these suggestions:
- Turbo – An energized hermit crab can race around a tank at a rate of knots.
- Slowpoke – Some hermit crabs are much slower and more ponderous.
- Crabcake – If you don’t want to think of your hermit crab as a snack, try Cupcake instead.
- Buttercup – A name without significant meaning beyond the fact that it is pretty.
- Snips – A tiny hermit crab will suit this name down to the ground.
- Sushi – Nobody wants to eat their hermit crab, but this fish dish offers an adorable name.
- Bubbles – Some hermit crabs blow brown bubbles, and this name is cute and fun.
- Princess – Like Buttercup, this name is beautiful for a hermit crab that looks delectable.
- Snowflake – Like snowflakes, every hermit crab is beautiful and unique.
- Kraken – The Kraken is a legendary sea monster of myth. Your hermit crabs are much less scary, but this is an adorable name.
Hermit Crab Names Inspired by Appearance
All hermit crabs are beautiful, and some have more distinctive aesthetic qualities than others. Whether it’s a color, attribute, or anything else, consider if your hermit crab’s look will lead to a great naming choice.
- Tiny – Whether accurate or ironic, “Tiny” is a good hermit crab name.
- Oreo – Some hermit crabs offer a contrast of black and white, like the delicious cookie.
- Google – Not a reference to the search engine but rather a hermit crab’s googly eyes.
- Hulk – A large, bulky hermit crab may remind you of this giant superhero.
- Legs – A hermit crab’s long, thin legs are essential to its appearance.
- Claws – Equally, no hermit crab looks complete without their distinctive chelipeds.
- Stripey – Many hermit crabs have stripy legs that look striking.
- Socks – If your hermit crab has different colored feet to its legs, it’ll look like it’s wearing socks.
- Smiler – Look closely at a hermit crab’s adorable face, and it often looks like it is grinning.
- Nomad – Hermit crabs like to change shells occasionally, so if yours constantly switches, it’ll live a nomadic life.
Hermit Crab Names Inspired by Behavior
Once hermit crabs have adapted to life in captivity, they become interesting to watch going about their business. You may find that hermit crab behaviors provide the perfect inspiration for a name.
- Pinchy – This one is self-explanatory and acts as a warning about handling.
- Nipper – Smaller hermit crabs may not pinch hard, but they can offer a light warning nip.
- Gobbler – Hermit crabs may be small, but they can sometimes have voracious appetites.
- Digger – Hermit crabs love to dig burrows and tunnels, like tiny organic JCBs.
- Scuttle – The distinctive scuttle of a hermit crab is always fascinating to watch.
- Bumpo – If your hermit crab is a little clumsy, embrace this in its name.
- Boxer – Some hermit crabs are more pugilistic than others and never back away from a fight.
- Sulky – Some hermit crabs are moody and spend more time hiding than interacting.
- Happy – If your hermit crab is happy and you know it, name it appropriately.
- Fussy – You may be surprised at how particular hermit crabs can be about their environment, personal hygiene, and diet.
Hermit Crab Names Inspired by Foreign Languages
If you want something original to call your hermit crabs that sounds exotic, why not fall back on the overseas translations of the words “hermit” or “crab”?
Here are some of the most interesting sounding choices, some of which have been westernized for ease of pronunciation.
- Eremita – Italian for hermit.
- Alnasik – Arabic for hermit.
- Ermitaña – Spanish for hermit.
- Saniasi – Punjabi for hermit.
- Erakko – Finnish for hermit.
- Papai – Hawaiian for crab.
- Alimango – Filipino for crab.
- Cua – Vietnamese for crab.
- Papaka – Māori for crab.
- Cangrexo – Galician for crab.
Whatever you decide to name your hermit crab is a matter of personal choice. It’s not the end of the world if you change your mind later, as you can always rename a hermit crab.